POST OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS
To help minimize the post operative discomfort, do the following:
- Discomfort is best controlled with 800mg of Advil or Motrin (Ibuprofen) every 4-6 hours as needed.
- If you cannot take Advil or Motrin, 650mg of Tylenol every 4-6 may be used instead.
- Some pinkness in saliva is normal for the first day. If there is bleeding, apply a piece of moist gauze or any tea bag with pressure for 30 minutes.
- Please use antibiotic and/or rinse as directed.
- Swelling and bruising may be expected and may last up to a week.
- Ice may be applied 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off during the first few hours.
- DO eat a soft, healthy diet (soup, yogurt, mashed potatoes, etc.) for the first week.
- DO maintain good fluid intake (water, juice, milk)
- DO keep head elevated and rest for the first day.
- DO NOT eat hard, crunchy foods (apple, popcorn, nuts, etc.).
- DO NOT drink from a straw for the first 48 hours.
- DO NOT brush and floss in the surgical area until you are told it is OK.
- DO NOT smoke for at least 48 hours following surgery.
- DO NOT bump or pull on the surgical area.
- If you have a denture, plate, partial, or flipper, ask if you can wear it following surgery.
- Warm salt water may be used as a rinse.
Contact Our Office at (303) 678-5253 If:
- You have a lot of bleeding.
- You have severe pain not controlled by medication.
- You run a fever.
For after-hours emergencies, Dr. Hovick may be reached at (720) 891-7745 or (303) 651-0198.
For life threatening emergencies, please call 911, or go to your local emergency room.